Chris Kaba: Homicide probe launched after man, 24, shot dead by Met Police officers
The police watchdog launched a homicide investigation after a 24-year-old man was shot dead by officers in south London.
Chris Kaba died after being shot by armed Met Police officers in Streatham Hill on Monday night.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said Mr Kaba died after a single shot was fired by an MPS officer from the specialist firearms command while cops attempted to stop and contain the vehicle he was driving.
The watchdog has previously confirmed that no gun was found in the car Mr Kaba was driving.
The IOPC said in a statement: “The investigation into the fatal shooting of Chris Kaba, aged 24 from Wembley, by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) in Streatham Hill on Monday 5 September has entered a new phase.
“Following our review of the evidence gathered so far, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched a homicide investigation into Mr Kaba’s death.
“Mr Kaba died after a single shot was fired by an MPS officer from the specialist firearms command while police attempted to stop and contain the vehicle he was driving.
“This followed the activation of an automatic number plate recognition camera which indicated the vehicle was linked to a firearms incident in previous days. The vehicle Mr Kaba was driving was not registered to him.
“Our investigation team is continuing to gather and review a large amount of evidence, however as this is now a criminal investigation, we are limited in what further information we can provide.
“The launch of a criminal investigation does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow.
“We have notified Mr Kaba’s family of this latest development.
“We continue to ask that people avoid speculating about this incident out of respect for Mr Kaba’s family and for everyone else affected.”
Yesterday, a Metropolitan Police commander offered his “heartfelt” condolences to Mr Kaba’s family.
Alexis Boon admitted that “there is trauma” in the local community.
The police commander said in a video published on social media: “Firstly, I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family of Chris Kaba.
“I can’t begin to imagine what they’re going through at this difficult time for them as they try to come to terms with the loss of their loved one.
“I know there is a great deal of concern out there about this incident.
“The community are hurt and there is trauma.
“I have officers out there patrolling, engaging with the public, talking to the community.
“I would like to reassure everyone that the Metropolitan Police is co-operating fully with the independent investigation by the IOPC, providing the information they need to conduct an investigation to the fullest extent.”